Monday, March 3, 2008

Read Aloud

Today, I was honored to be part of the Read Aloud Program. It’s a celebration of Read Across America Day and the birthday of Dr. Seuss. The National Education Association sponsors this year-round program of reading activities. (More info about it here http://www.nea.org/readacross/index.html.)

Every year, the school invites people in the community to participate by reading to the children of Barnegat. I’ve participated in it every year starting back in 2003 when I was first invited. I always find it to be very gratifying--I love reading to the kids.

FYI, here’s a photo that appeared in the New Jersey School Board Association’s School Board Notes (2004) of me reading at the Horbelt School.


This year, I brought my own book, Stellaluna, by Janell Cannon (1993). It is one of my family’s favorites and one of the few kids’ books still around now that all three of my children are older (7th, 8th, and 10th).

Stellaluna, if you don’t know, is about a baby bat that is separated from its mother and is adopted by a family of birds. Eventually, Stellaluna is reunited with her bat mother (now you don’t have to worry) . :)

After I was finished reading, the kids shared all their stories with me--stories about bats, snakes, frogs, and dogs. They had many questions about bats, but sadly I had to inform them that I am not a bat expert and that I can’t answer all their questions about bats. I have, however, seen them in caves, up close and personal, and I did rescue one from the pool skimmer.

You should have see how well-behaved these kids were as a group--kindergarten kids--no interruptions, always raised their hands, very considerate and courteous. I was very impressed. Hats off again to the teachers of Barnegat.

I tell you this because it reminds me of why I’m interested in working on the Board. I remember when my kids were this age (and it wasn’t that long ago). I am very happy with their education now as I was then. And I want to do my best to ensure that all the children and parents in Barnegat have the same positive experiences.

No comments: