Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Barnegat School Board Candidate Questions

It’s that time of year. Time for everyone to decide who is best to be on the Board of Education team. In Barnegat, it is particularly important this year because we have five seats to fill. That means the entire political majority of the Board is on the table. (I’m running for the one-year term.)

I gathered these questions by simply asking a few people, “What questions do you have for our school board candidates?”

Q #1:What has motivated you to run for the school board?
A #1:I believe a good education is a top priority, since I believe I can be useful in this area, I want to make myself available to help. I have always felt that teaching (education) is one of the most important professions. It’s equal to being a doctor, lawyer, rocket scientist...well, you get my point. And, without good teachers, we will not have doctors, lawyers, rocket scientist, etc. When I worked at Naval Air Engineering Center in Lakehurst, I volunteered every year for the WAVE program (Work Achievement Values Education) as well as tutored Calculus and Physics at Manchester High School. I even majored in education, on and off, but decided to go with Electrical Engineering (NJIT).
 
Q #2:Do you have children attending school in the district?
A #2:Yes, three, in grades 7, 8, and 10. They’re all doing well. (Actually, much better than I did at that age—must be my wife’s DNA.)
 
Q #3:What special capabilities will you bring to the Board regarding education, finance, and decision-making?
A #3:EDUCATION: I have direct experience in teaching. I taught martial arts back in the day, as they say, as well as coached wrestling for Howell recreation. I also taught The Princeton Review (SAT review) while I was a student at NJIT (Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering). Other education experience was with Manchester High School that I mentioned in question #1. FINANCE: I’m a consumer advocate in finance now, professionally, as the founder of DebtSmart.com and author of three books on managing debt. The media seeks my financial advice, which has been mentioned on CNN, FOX, The Wall Street Journal, NBC, ABC, Money, Consumer Reports, NPR, Bottom Line/Personal, and many others. DECISION MAKING: I don’t make snap decisions. I like to consider as much input as possible, from as many people as possible, before making the final call.
 
Q #4:Do you have sufficient time/energy to devote to this position?
A #4:I did serve on the Board from 2003-2006, so I understand the commitment that is required. I know exactly what I’m getting into. Also, I work from home, so I’m available 24/7 (typically) to respond.
 
Q #5:What can you do to bring all the board members to work together as a group without separating one group from the other?
A #5:I promise to listen to everyone on the Board, leave the past behind, and move forward. Since I’m running independently, I have no connections to any group and, therefore, will be able to work well with whoever is elected.
 
Q #6:What is the most important responsibility of a school board member?
A #6:Make sure the children are receiving the best education possible. That means quality teachers, administrators, proven curriculum, and a host of opportunities and activities so every child finds something they are passionate about to pursue now and in the future.
 
Q #7:What would you most like to see the Board accomplish?
A #7:(1) Get all the new schools and improvements up and running; (2) Add more language courses; (3) Improve the website to include more public information like the Policy Manual for example.
 
Q #8:How will you promote effective communication among the school board, the administration, and the community?
A #8:(1) Improve the online interactivity of the district website; (2) Create a committee that works directly with the public to answer questions and concerns before they become political issues at Board meetings; (3) Accept criticism as an opportunity for improvement; (4) Add a few more meetings to the scheduled meeting geared specifically for public comment where there can be more back-and-forth exchanges.
 
Q #9:Are you accessible to me, as a parent, if I need to discuss an issue?
A #9:Yes! I’ll do my best to help with any issue. Email is best: scott@barnegat2008.com.
 
Q #10:What additional curricula, materials, or technology do you think our district should add?
A #10:(1) Look at adding more online high school courses for supplemental classes. (2) Software instruction for applications other than Microsoft. Don’t get me wrong, I use FrontPage, and MS Office, but I also use OpenOffice, Google Docs, and other open source applications.(3) Foreign language starting in Kindergarten or 1st Grade.
 
Q #11:Do you believe that our current curriculum is preparing our children for acceptance into top-notch universities?
A #11:Yes! I am sure of this, or I would move somewhere else. Nevertheless, I believe that getting accepted to top colleges is mostly dependent on the motivation, determination, and hard work of each individual student. Those students need the right tools and curriculum to get there and we have it here—for sure! Additionally, we have a great music program and high-performing varsity sports. All these opportunities add up to the right mix for students heading to college.
 
Q #12:What are your views on teaching honesty, trustworthiness, etc.?
A #12:I believe that, ideally, these values are best taught at home and at an early age. That said, I also think that the schools should cover these topics to reinforce the lessons. Most likely, in my opinion, if you don't have a foundation of honesty and trustworthiness from home, then there isn't too much the school can do to instill that, especially in older children. But it certainly can’t hurt.
 
Q #13:What is the most important issue facing the Board of Education?
A #13:Board infighting! If the Board is not a team, then it creates more problems like lawsuits, public distrust, and waste of resources. That’s what I see happening now. The administration has been focused on defending themselves from attacks for the past two years, and every minute they work on defense, is a minute we are all paying for. The Board needs to somehow get back together. Not just say it, but mean it.
 
Q #14:Why should I vote for you?
A #14:(1) I’m an independent candidate with no ties to any group and no ties to anyone employed by the school district; (2) My only agenda is to do my best for the children and community; (3) I respect everyone’s opinion; (4) I will not make snap decisions; (5) I have experience in many areas that will help with the position.

NOTE: Please let me know what you think of my responses, or ask new questions, by clicking on COMMENTS below. THANKS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Mr. Bilker. This site is immensely helpful. I believe I understand and definitely appreciate how helpful you have been and will continue to be as a Board of Education member here in Barnegat. I take my grandchildren's education extremely seriously and will be very happy to vote for you.

Barbara Crammer

parent said...

Do you think summer camps should be cut from the budget?